Before I had kids, there were lots of things I swore I wouldn’t do when it was my turn. Like roll out of the house unshowered in sweats that may or may not have come out of the laundry basket. I’d walk by these ladies (in my high heels) and silently wonder how it could be so difficult to just put in a bit more effort.
But if you’ve ever stayed home with young kids, you know how hard it can be to get a break. At least when I worked at Microsoft, nobody came and stuck their fingers under the bathroom stall when they needed something.
I love being a mom and I’m sure you do too, but if you’re having one of those days where being home with your kids has you feeling like you’re about to lose your last marble, head over to your local Fred Meyer.
The larger Fred Meyer grocery stores offer moms a little piece of paradise called Playland. One hour of free childcare for kids aged 2 up to First Grade!
Here’s what you do:
- Check your pride at Playland along with your kids
- Round up your groceries as fast as possible
- Head to the magazine section, grab a few that look good, and then go directly to the furniture department
- Find a chair or sofa on display that looks comfortable, park your cart nearby, and then park yourself there. For a break. By yourself.
- Not quite ready for the full Fred Meyer spa? Many of these stores have an onsite coffee shop.
- Use the time for a date with your significant other.
- Meet one of those childless friends that you hardly get to see anymore.
- Bring one of your haggard mom friends for some adult discussion!
As a side note, I was a bit embarrassed at first and started out just sitting in the side chairs. Now I’ve moved on to the recliners.
Sometimes those former versions of me walk by in their high heels and look at me in horror, but I could care less.
I’ve traded my dignity for a small dose of freedom. And it’s worth it.
What do you do when you need a break? Do tell!