A Secret for Moms Who Need a Break

Before I had kids, there were lots of things I swore I wouldn’t do when it was my turn. Like roll out of the house unshowered in sweats that may or may not have come out of the laundry basket. I’d walk by these ladies (in my high heels) and silently wonder how it could be so difficult to just put in a bit more effort.

But if you’ve ever stayed home with young kids, you know how hard it can be to get a break. At least when I worked at Microsoft, nobody came and stuck their fingers under the bathroom stall when they needed something.

I love being a mom and I’m sure you do too, but if you’re having one of those days where being home with your kids has you feeling like you’re about to lose your last marble, head over to your local Fred Meyer.

The larger Fred Meyer grocery stores offer moms a little piece of paradise called Playland. One hour of free childcare for kids aged 2 up to First Grade!

Here’s what you do:

1. Check your pride at Playland along with your kids
  2. Round up your groceries as fast as possible
  3. Head to the magazine section, grab a few that look good, and then go directly to the furniture department
  4. Find a chair or sofa on display that looks comfortable, park your cart nearby, and then park yourself there. For a break. By yourself.

Other Tips:

1. Not quite ready for the full Fred Meyer spa? Many of these stores have an onsite coffee shop.
  2. Use the time for a date with your significant other.
  3. Meet one of those childless friends that you hardly get to see anymore.
  4. Bring one of your haggard mom friends for some adult discussion!

As a side note, I was a bit embarrassed at first and started out just sitting in the side chairs. Now I’ve moved on to the recliners.

Sometimes those former versions of me walk by in their high heels and look at me in horror, but I could care less.

I’ve traded my dignity for a small dose of freedom. And it’s worth it.

What do you do when you need a break? Do tell!

11 Responses to 'A Secret for Moms Who Need a Break'

1. Emily Luke says:

Love this!!!!

2. amyletinsky says:

I needed this today!

3. I love Freddy’s Playland, too, but I always seem to spend the whole hour doing my grocery shopping! I read too many food labels and stress about ingredients. :)

4. Jennifer Weis says:

Oh my gosh, I was cracking up. What a great idea…very resourceful my friend :-)

5. Molly Powell says:

Love the line: At least when I worked at Microsoft, nobody came and stuck their fingers under the bathroom stall when they needed something. So funny- and so true. I am glad to have found your blog and look forward to reading more!

• Teresa Simon says:

Hi Molly! Thanks for checking out my blog! I migrated over to a self-hosted version of WordPress, so you can no longer follow my blog through WordPress.com. You can subscribe via email, though, and I hope you do (see sidebar on my site page). I’m looking forward to checking out your blog, too. Take care, Teresa.

6. ashley says:

Hilarious! Helped alleviate some of my guilt leaving the kids with grocery store childcare :-)

7. Selena says:

Though it costs us a little more to shop at Fred Meyers, we do it any way just for this feature! In fact, I’m headed there soon… :)

Trackbacks/Pingbacks
  1. [...] But the early wake-up messed up the plan.   Plus, the parts weren’t in, the car needed more work than expected, and we were there for 4 hours. And boy was I tempted to lie about her age to meet the 2-year-old minimum requirement for Freddy’s Fun Zone…aka mom relief center. [...]